Monday, January 4, 2010

Why is altering your hair only a big deal when black women do it?

Mostly all women alter the natural state of their hair with flat


irons,curling irons,straighteners,curlers,hair dyes and other


chemicals yet only when black women do it is it a big deal,


why is that?


Why is altering your hair only a big deal when black women do it?
History. For a long time natural curly black hair was considered ';bad'; (It still is in many places). You can see evidence of this not only in the black culture during slavery and segregation, but right after as well. Do you think the Afro-centric movements of the Civil Rights Era kept their hair natural by accident? It was an act of defiance against what they saw as a form of institutionalized prejudice against natural black features. The early negative depictions of the hair of black women, followed by the backlash against the negative view, created the situation that we have today. It gets more attention that it should. I agree that it's not fair, but there are much more egregious injustices in this world to worried about.Why is altering your hair only a big deal when black women do it?
I'll breakdown why this is:





- The history of other women altering their hair is not like black women nor does it have to do with being demeaned and having self-hatred (perms/relaxers)


- Black women are basically putting the equilavence of Liquid Draino in their to make it straight (similar to white women) and yet when was the last time you seen a mass of non-black women walking around with afros and afro wigs?


- No one alters their hair more than black and to the extent that black women do it





That's why
To be honest, in my experience I've seen the OPPOSITE to be true. I'm not black or white, but I live in the South and I've seen that black women make a bigger deal about other black women's hairdo's than white women do. (I think it's because white people are scared to offend black women....still kinda awkward for non black people to talk about black people regarding their hair. I'm Asian and even I try not to discuss hair much because a lot of black women have joked around about me being ';lucky'; for having ';good hair';....and the first time I heard this I really didn't know what to say, because God made me this way and God made them a certain way and it didn't make sense for them to like my hair better than theirs! Til I learned about the history of it all.....) And when a white woman changes her hair, both black and white women say something.





That's just been my own opinion.
People always have something to say about Black women and our hair. I think Natural sistas get more crap because all of the crazy misconceptions about curly black hair....I'm natural but right now I'm wearing a weave..and when i have my hair in a natural style, at school people would call my hair nappy and said I was an ';slave';
Why is everything always a big deal when black women do it?





Seriously, are anyo of the rest of you black women out there tired of feeling like the hottentot venus (i.e. like a sideshow freak on display for everyone to gawk at and criticize)?
I don't know why it's a big deal to some people. But there are plenty of people that seldom (if ever) think about what black women do to their hair. I am one of them. It's their hair.
I've noticed this latley on c%26amp;g, I don't know why.


Its stupid though, I'm white and cannot think of the last time I wore my hair natural!
i dont know why but it gets on my nerves!

No comments:

Post a Comment